The Cannabis Institute: Medical Cannabis Certificate Background and Industry Need Identified in South Africa
There is currently not enough formal education in the wealth of topics presented by medicinal cannabis: medical efficacy, appropriate protocols, contraindications, along with the positive impacts of natural products, psychological benefits, and many more.
Too many of our citizens primary health care providers and front-line healthcare workers are ill equipped to help the South African population navigate the benefits and contribution to overall wellness with the use of medicinal cannabis. To help nurses, doctors, pharmacists, traditional healers and herbalists the Cannabis Institute offers a continuous professional development program outlining what competence medical professional should display regarding the knowledge, skills and attitude relevant to Medical Cannabis.
The Cannabis Institute has used global trends that have identified competencies that are universal and appropriate for all healthcare workers and has used these guidelines as the basis for its certificate outcomes.
Individuals credited with this standard will have a clear understanding of medicinal Cannabis as it affects the human body and will be able to identify common conditions and ailments. In addition, they will be able to provide information relating to health and medicines within their scope of practice.
Graduates of the Cannabis Institute’s Medical Cannabis Certificate will be able to:
- Explain how cannabis works in the human organ systems.
- Explain the physiology of the endocannabinoid system.
- Describe the pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of medicinal cannabis in correlation to championing homeostasis.
- Defines how holistic modalities upregulate the endocannabinoid system.
- Navigate the body of scientific knowledge related to cannabis effectiveness with specific disease processes.